How Google+ Local Can Help Your Business
Before we get off to the races, let’s start off by answering “the why”—i.e., Why should your business bother using Google+ Local at all? Small and midsized businesses typically have few extra resources, so they are very protective over them. What’s more, people have become cynical (justifiably) about over-hyped, fly-by-night marketing gimmicks.
For that reason, I want to take a moment to explain why I think it’s worthwhile for your business to set up a Google+ Local page, and further, why Google+ is a platform that will deliver sustainable results for your organization.
The answer to the “why” question is pretty straightforward. There are several statistics that really matter here …
- 97 percent of consumers search for local businesses online
- With 65.9 percent market share, the clear majority of these local searches are done using Google, which is still the undisputed king of web search (Bing has 15.1 percent market share)
- 72 percent of consumers research companies through social channels before making purchases
- 71 percent claim reviews from family members or friends exert a “great deal” or “fair amount” of influence on their purchase decisions
Moreover, Google has clearly decided to place a lot of value on local listings in their search results. What’s more, as Google pushes into mobile, the company will feature local listings through their mobile apps for Android (currently available) and iPhone (in the works), helping nearby customers discover your business.
So, if you take all of these things together, it’s easy to see that Google+ Local is an incredible opportunity to get in front of your target market, right at the moment they’re looking for what you sell. And we don’t expect this to change in the foreseeable future.
We’d be remiss if we didn’t take a moment to list the basic business benefits of using Google+ Local. Here’s a quick list—it’s not exhaustive by any means, but it’s a good start:
Pay nothing (it’s free)
It won’t cost you a penny to list your business on Google. (That said, it will take you some time to set up your page.)
Get found on Google, increase website/store traffic
This is probably the most compelling benefit. In the digital age, Google is virtually everyone’s first stop when looking for any kind of information—including local vendors. By increasing your visibility in search, you open your business to an *enormous* and constantly growing audience of people who need and want what YOU sell.
Get found on mobile devices (!!!)
Most local businesses struggle to maintain a web presence at all, let alone a “responsive” web presence that is fully optimized for mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. The fact is, the web is becoming increasingly mobile. Morgan Stanley predicts that mobile web browsing will outpace desktop browsing within just a few years.
Businesses ignore this trend at their own peril!
By optimizing your Google+ Local page, your business can effectively outsource its mobile marketing to Google, which offers consumers several mobile apps that facilitate local business discovery. These mobile apps help buyers find you!
Help your business stand out amongst the competition
Get this: according to a recent count, only 20 percent of eligible small businesses have claimed their listing on Google+ Local! By claiming your listing you greatly increase your ability to stand out in your industry or niche. Why leave this low- hanging fruit for your competitors to snatch up?
Learn more about your customers
It’s no shocker: Google, a company founded and run by coders, is all about analytics. And thus, their business tools, Google+ Local included, come with excellent tools for mining data and gathering market intelligence you can use to improve your offering, keep customers happy, and collect bigger profits.
But what is Google+ Local exactly?
Before we go too much further, let’s take a moment to make sure we’re all on the same page in terms of what precisely Google+ Local is. This tool is pretty new, after all.
A replacement-in-progress for Google Places, Google+ Local is a tool that allows business owners to update and manage their physical business location information and connect with local customers. Google+ Local is integrated with all of Google’s key products—desktop and mobile apps included.
Let’s look at some of the basic functions of this tool, for users and for businesses
With Google+ Local, users can:
- Get place recommendations based on their “circles,” their past reviews, and their location
- Publish reviews and photos of their favorite places
- Read Zagat summaries of user reviews for a place
- View the local Google+ page for a business to see reviews,photos, and other information
- Find reviews from people they know and trust highlighted in their search results
With Google+ Local, businesses like yours can:
- Get found on Google free of charge and help your business stand out
- Add photos, update physical address and hours, or promote your business with ads
- Connect with customers: Google+ Local lets you see what people are saying, and respond to customer reviews
- Interact with customers directly and build a following (a la Facebook): Start real face-to-face conversations, post messages to your circles
- Share: videos, customer photos, product updates, promotion info, testimonials, case studies—anything and everything!
Did I convince you that Google+Local is very important for your business? Would you like to find out how your business currently ranks on Google+Local? Please contact me (Bob Dale) at (952) 270-1668 for a free evaluation.